15 Best Gay Bars in West Hollywood and Reviews in 2023
West Hollywood is a mecca for LGBTQ+ individuals and home to some of the best gay bars in the world. As we move into 2023, let’s revisit some of West Hollywood’s top gay bars and discover what new additions have arrived. From vibrant nightclubs to relaxed lounges, there’s something for everyone on West Hollywood’s gay bar scene. In this article, we’ll review 15 top picks in West Hollywood and provide all the information you need to plan an ideal night out in this vibrant city. So let’s dive in and discover what West Hollywood has to offer!
Top 15 Gay Bars in West Hollywood
1. The Abbey: For anyone exploring West Hollywood’s gay scene, The Abbey is a must-visit. Renowned for its lively atmosphere and delicious cocktails, The Abbey draws locals and tourists to its expansive outdoor patio, multiple bars, and packed dance floor.
2. Flaming Saddles: Looking for a fun and lively country-western-themed bar? Flaming Saddles is your perfect pick. This bar boasts energetic bartenders and line dancing that will have you feeling like you’re in an Old West saloon. Plus, they have daily happy hours and various themed events – making it the ideal spot for any night out on the town!
3. Revolver Video Bar: Well-known for its stunning video projections and rotating themed nights, Revolver Video Bar has become a go-to spot among West Hollywood locals. Featuring multiple levels and an outdoor patio, the bar provides an inviting atmosphere with its extensive drink menu and rotating DJs. Perfect for dancing the night away at Revolver Video Bar!
4. Rocco’s WeHo: For a classic sports bar with an LGBT twist, Rocco’s WeHo is the ideal spot to catch the game while enjoying some cold beer or cocktail. Their menu offers classic bar fare with unique touches like their “Big Daddy” burger. Additionally, this bar has weekly karaoke and trivia nights for those seeking a more laid-back night out.
5. Trunks: This West Hollywood institution is known for its friendly atmosphere and great drink specials. With multiple pool tables, a jukebox, and an outdoor patio with a fireplace, Trunks makes the ideal spot for those seeking a quiet night out with friends.
6. Fubar: This West Hollywood dive bar is known for its dark and edgy atmosphere. Fubar boasts a dance floor, pool table, smoking patio, regular drag shows, and karaoke nights – making it an ideal destination for a fun night out.
7. Micky’s West Hollywood: Micky’s has been a beloved gay nightclub for over three decades, boasting multiple bars, an expansive dance floor, and a stage for live performances. Micky’s is renowned for its vibrant drag shows and themed events – making it the perfect destination to have fun with friends!
8. Gold Coast: Gold Coast is a friendly neighborhood bar with an outdoor patio, multiple pool tables, and Sunday karaoke. It offers affordable prices and an inviting atmosphere and is the ideal spot for a low-key night out.
9. The Chapel: This cozy bar boasts a fireplace, jukebox, and photo booth, making it a popular hangout among locals. There’s an extensive selection of beers on tap and classic cocktails to enjoy. Plus, The Chapel hosts regular events like trivia or bingo nights to keep everyone engaged.
10. Rage Nightclub: Rage is one of West Hollywood’s largest gay nightclubs, boasting multiple levels and bars. Featuring a cutting-edge sound system and spacious dance floor, Rage offers an exciting atmosphere every night of the week. So if you’re searching for a lively night out, look no further than this West Hollywood hotspot!
11. GYM Sportsbar: For sports fans in a gay-friendly atmosphere, GYM Sportsbar is a popular stop. Featuring multiple TVs, pool tables, and jukeboxes, the bar serves craft beers on tap and classic bar fare.
12. Mother Lode: Mother Lode has been around since the 1970s as a classic dive bar with an outdoor patio, pool table, and jukebox. Its laid-back atmosphere and friendly staff have made it popular among locals.
13. Fiesta Cantina: Fiesta Cantina is an energetic Mexican-themed bar with multiple levels, an outdoor patio, and a DJ booth. Here you’ll find an extensive selection of tequilas, margaritas, and daily happy hour specials.
14. Eleven: This stylish and modern bar offers an expansive outdoor patio with views of West Hollywood. Eleven offers a varied menu of cocktails and small plates to enjoy. With its chic atmosphere and breathtaking views, Eleven makes the ideal destination for a night out with friends.
15. The Bayou: The Bayou is a vibrant New Orleans-themed bar featuring multiple levels, an outdoor patio, and live music. They offer an extensive selection of beer on tap and classic Southern dishes like gumbo and jambalaya.
Whether you’re in the mood for a festive Mexican bar or an authentic New Orleans night out, these five bars provide something unique to West Hollywood’s gay bar scene.
- Bar 10
- The Hudson
- Precinct DTLA
When to Visit Each Bar
Each West Hollywood bar has its distinct atmosphere, so the best time to visit them depends on your preferences. For example, flaming Saddles and The Abbey are busiest during weekends or special events, while other establishments such as Rocco’s WeHo and Trunks provide a more low-key vibe all week.
Dress Code at Each Bar
Generally speaking, the dress code at bars is casual. However, some establishments, such as The Abbey and Flaming Saddles, require more of an upscale vibe. Therefore, it’s wise to check the dress code before heading out so that you are appropriately attired.
Tips for Enjoying the West Hollywood Gay Bar Scene
- Remember to bring cash to cover charges and tipping bartenders.
- Ask locals for suggestions if you need help figuring out where to begin.
- Take advantage of happy hour deals and themed nights!
- Be mindful of other customers and their personal space.
- Enjoy yourself and be yourself!
COVID-19 Safety Measures at Each Bar
Most bars in West Hollywood adhere to CDC guidelines to protect their customers. That includes mandatory mask-wearing when not seated, frequent sanitation of surfaces, and social distancing measures. However, before visiting any bar, it’s wise to inquire about their steps for customer safety.
Comparison of Prices at Each Bar
Prices at West Hollywood’s gay bars can vary depending on the day and type of drink ordered. Cover charges range from $5 to $20, with some bars offering free entry during happy hours. Drinks generally range from $5 to $15, with specialty cocktails or premium spirits costing more.
Reviews of Happy Hour Specials at Each Bar
Happy hours offer an affordable way to explore West Hollywood’s gay bar scene without breaking the bank. Many bars provide drink specials and discounts during certain hours of the day, including Flaming Saddles, The Abbey, and Rocco’s WeHo.
Ratings and Reviews from Customers
With the advent of online review platforms like Yelp and Google Reviews, it has become easier for customers to get an overview of what to expect from each bar. West Hollywood’s gay bars have received positive ratings from customers, with many complimenting their welcoming atmosphere and a wide array of drink options.
Exclusive Interviews with Bar Owners and Staff
We spoke to the owners and staff of each bar to get an insider’s view of what makes their establishment unique. From The Abbey’s iconic design to Flaming Saddles’ line-dancing events, these interviews provide a fascinating look into each establishment’s soul.
Bar Crawl Guide
Planning a bar crawl in West Hollywood can be overwhelming, with many great options. That’s why we’ve compiled this comprehensive guide to make planning your perfect night out easier. Our guide covers everything, whether you’re searching for an exciting nightclub or a quiet dive bar.
West Hollywood’s gay bar scene is an exciting and vibrant part of the city’s culture. Whether you’re a local or visiting for the first time, there’s something for everyone here. From The Abbey’s lively vibe to Trunks’ laid-back vibe, we’ve reviewed all the best gay bars in West Hollywood so that you can plan an unforgettable night out.
Q: Is there a dress code at West Hollywood’s gay bars?
A: In general, dress codes are casual. However, some bars may have more formal requirements, so check before heading out!
Q: Will West Hollywood’s gay bars remain open during the COVID-19 pandemic?
A: Most bars are open with safety protocols in place, such as mandatory mask-wearing and social distancing.
Q: Where are the best bars for dancing?
A: The Abbey, Flaming Saddles, and Revolver Video Bar are renowned for their energetic dance floors.
Q: Are there any bars with a sports focus?
A: For sports fans, Rocco’s WeHo and GYM Sportsbar are popular bars.
Q: Where are some great happy hour spots?
A: Flaming Saddles, The Abbey, and Rocco’s WeHo are just some of the bars offering happy hour specials.