Delta Boeing 737-800 First Class Review: What to Expect in 2023 -2024
The aviation industry is marked by a myriad of aircraft models, each with its distinct features, comforts, and performance metrics. Among them, the Boeing 737-800 has secured its place as one of the most widely recognized and employed aircraft in the world. Operated by numerous airlines globally, its popularity speaks volumes about its reliability, efficiency, and adaptability. Delta Airlines, a titan in the industry, has incorporated the Boeing 737-800 into its fleet, and passengers frequently wonder about the experience onboard, particularly in the First Class section.
In this review, we will be focusing on Delta’s Boeing 737-800 First Class offerings. From seat specifications and amenities to in-flight services and entertainment, we aim to provide an all-encompassing insight into what one can anticipate when choosing to fly First Class on Delta’s 737-800. Whether you’re a frequent traveler, considering an upgrade for a special occasion, or merely curious about the premium air travel experience, this guide seeks to answer your questions.
Dive in as we dissect and elaborate on each segment of the Delta Boeing 737-800 First Class experience. From leg room, service quality, entertainment options, to the general comfort levels, we’ve got it covered.
The First Class experience on Delta’s Boeing 737-800 is undeniably one of luxury and exclusivity. From spacious seating to gourmet meals, every aspect is designed for the discerning traveler. While the ticket price is a premium, for those seeking utmost comfort and impeccable service, it offers value in abundance. Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, Delta’s First Class on the 737-800 promises a journey as memorable as the destination itself.
Aircraft and Seat Specifications
The Boeing 737-800 is not just any aircraft; it’s an emblem of reliability and advanced aviation engineering. When flying with Delta, passengers can expect the following aircraft specifications:
- Cruising Speed: A swift 525 mph (844 km/h) ensures timely arrivals and a smooth flight.
- Range: With a capacity to cover 2,835 miles (4,563 km) before needing to refuel, it’s suited for a variety of medium-haul routes.
- Engines: Powered by two wing-mounted turbofans, the 737-800 combines efficiency with power.
- Physical Dimensions: The aircraft stretches to a length of 129 ft 6 in (39.47 m), a wingspan of 117 ft 5 in (35.79 m), and stands tall with a tail height of 41 ft 2 in (12.55 m).
Seating Configuration and Specifications
Delta’s Boeing 737-800 isn’t just about technical prowess; it’s also about passenger comfort. Here’s what you can expect when settling into the First-Class cabin:
- Configuration: Both versions of Delta’s 737-800 boast four rows of first-class seats. The intimate 2×2 arrangement ensures every passenger has either window or aisle access, without the middle-seat dilemma.
- Amenities: Upon boarding, travelers are greeted with a complimentary blanket and headphone set, signaling the start of a pampered journey.
- Service Commencement: Even before take-off, first-class passengers are offered a pre-flight complimentary drink, kickstarting the premium experience.
- Best Seats: While every seat in the first-class cabin promises a luxurious experience, seats in the bulkhead and exit rows are often the most sought-after for additional space and ease of disembarkation.
For those curious about seating in other parts of the aircraft, Delta 737-800 also offers Comfort+ and Main Cabin seating. Each has its unique arrangement and features, catering to a wide range of preferences and budgets.
Is First Class Worth It? Comparing Delta 737-800 First Class vs. Comfort Plus vs. Economy
Traveling by air provides several seating options, each designed to cater to different preferences and budgets. Delta Airlines, with its diverse fleet including the Boeing 737-800, presents travelers with three distinct choices: First Class, Comfort Plus, and Economy. But the perennial question remains: Is the splurge on First Class truly worth it? Let’s dive into a comparison to help you make an informed decision.
1. First Class:
- Seat Comfort: First Class offers the widest and most plush seating, with generous recline and a roomier seat pitch. Passengers also receive a complimentary blanket and pillow for added comfort.
- Service: Personalized attention is a hallmark. With a smaller cabin size, flight attendants can offer more immediate service, from pre-flight drinks to expedited meal service.
- Amenities: First Class passengers can expect top-tier amenities including priority boarding, complimentary headphones, and gourmet meal options. Additionally, the lavatories are typically less trafficked.
- Cost: This is the most expensive option, often costing several times more than an Economy ticket.
2. Comfort Plus:
- Seat Comfort: While not as spacious as First Class, Comfort Plus offers a few extra inches of legroom compared to Economy. The seats also have a bit more recline.
- Service: Drinks and meals are the same as Economy, but passengers might receive them slightly quicker due to their forward location in the plane.
- Amenities: Priority boarding is a perk, ensuring overhead bin space and a bit more time to settle in. Additionally, passengers receive dedicated bin space.
- Cost: Comfort Plus is priced higher than Economy but remains significantly cheaper than First Class.
- Seat Comfort: The standard option, Economy seats are narrower with limited recline. Legroom can be restrictive for taller passengers.
- Service: Expect standard service with occasional free snacks and beverages on longer flights. Alcohol and premium snacks come at an additional cost.
- Amenities: Basic amenities like in-flight entertainment are available, but extras like priority boarding or extra baggage might incur additional fees.
- Cost: This is the most budget-friendly option.
In-depth Review of Delta 737-800 First Class
As air travel continues to evolve, so does the race among airlines to offer a luxurious and memorable flying experience to their customers. Delta Airlines, known for its dedication to premium services, offers a unique experience on its Boeing 737-800 First Class. This in-depth review will delve into the features, comfort, and overall value proposition of flying First Class on this specific aircraft.
1. Seat Configuration and Comfort:
- Configuration: The Boeing 737-800’s First Class cabin typically offers a 2-2 configuration, ensuring direct aisle access for every passenger without compromising on personal space.
- Seat Dimensions: First Class seats on this aircraft are designed for maximum comfort. With a width averaging 21 inches and a pitch – the space between your seat and the one in front – of around 37-38 inches, it provides ample room to stretch out.
- Recline and Bed Mode: While not a lie-flat seat like one might find on international long-haul flights, the recline is generous, making relaxation or a nap quite feasible.
2. In-flight Amenities and Entertainment:
- Entertainment System: Each First Class seat comes equipped with a personal entertainment screen boasting a variety of movies, TV shows, music, and games. The touchscreen is responsive and offers high-definition visuals.
- Noise-Canceling Headphones: To enhance the entertainment experience, passengers receive complimentary noise-canceling headphones.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi is available on board, allowing passengers to stay connected or get some work done.
3. Dining and Service:
- Meals: Depending on the flight duration, First Class passengers can expect multi-course meals curated by renowned chefs. These often include appetizer, main course, dessert, and sometimes even a cheese plate.
- Beverages: From premium wines and spirits to freshly brewed coffee, the beverage selection is vast. Special drink requests are often accommodated graciously.
- Service: Delta’s flight attendants in the First Class cabin are trained to provide a highly personalized service, always on hand but without being intrusive.
4. Additional Perks:
- Priority Boarding: First Class passengers are among the first to board, allowing them to settle in without feeling rushed.
- Increased Baggage Allowance: Additional checked and cabin baggage allowances are a significant perk, especially for those traveling with more than the usual amount.
- Lounge Access: At many airports, Delta provides its First Class passengers with access to exclusive lounges, offering a serene environment, gourmet food, and premium beverages.
Personal Recommendations & Final Thoughts on Delta 737-800 First Class
While this article provides a neutral analysis of Delta’s 737-800 First Class, I’d like to offer some personal recommendations and final thoughts for those contemplating an upgrade.
1. Flight Duration Matters:
While the First Class experience is undeniably superior to Economy or even Comfort Plus, it’s most appreciable on longer flights. On short, one-hour hops, you might not fully experience all the perks that come with the price tag. If budget is a concern, consider saving the splurge for longer routes.
2. Think About Your Needs:
If you’re someone who values space, privacy, and gourmet meals, then First Class is for you. But if you’re someone who sleeps instantly on a flight or doesn’t care for in-flight entertainment, the additional cost might not provide equivalent value.
3. The Business Traveler:
For business travelers, the First Class cabin offers a conducive environment to work. The extra space, Wi-Fi connectivity, and reduced noise can turn your seat into a productive workstation. Additionally, arriving well-rested and fresh for a business meeting can make the extra expense worthwhile.
4. Special Occasions:
Consider First Class if you’re celebrating a milestone or special occasion. The superior service and comfort can make your journey feel even more special.
5. Lounge Access:
Don’t underestimate the value of lounge access. If you have a significant layover, the lounge can provide a peaceful retreat with quality food and drink. For frequent travelers, this perk can be a game-changer.
6. Price vs. Experience:
Always compare the price difference between cabins with the amenities offered. Sometimes, promotional fares or off-peak travel can make First Class much more accessible. On the other hand, peak-season prices might not justify the upgrade.
Navigating the world of airline seating and service options can sometimes feel as intricate as plotting a global itinerary. With options spanning from the basic necessities of Economy to the opulence of First Class, finding what aligns best with our priorities and pocketbook is essential. The Delta 737-800 First Class experience, as delved into in this review, emerges as a paragon of in-flight luxury, comfort, and attentiveness. But it’s clear that its value, like beauty, rests in the eye of the beholder.
For the discerning traveler who places a premium on space, exclusivity, and elevated service, Delta’s First Class on the 737-800 promises a journey as memorable as the destination itself. Yet, for others, the subtler comforts of Comfort Plus or the economic pragmatism of Economy might strike the right balance between comfort and cost.
In the evolving realm of air travel, the destination will always be paramount. However, as Delta’s 737-800 offerings illustrate, the journey itself can range from functional to fantastic. As always, the choice is yours. Safe travels and may every flight be an experience to remember.